Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sugar Free Cucumber Salad

Sugar Free Cucumber Salad
When I was a kid, our summer food menu often consisted of sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob and anything fresh from the garden or produce stand.  Sliced cucumber salad was a staple, but my mother always made it with sugar.  Dietary restrictions require I not use sugar if possible, so I substituted stevia for this recipe and it worked beautifully.  Olivia has an abundance of cucumbers this year so she gave me some to make this salad.  My mother didn't use herbs in hers but I like herbs so I added them to mine.  You can use any seasonings you like. Let this sit in the refrigerator overnight for the best flavor.  We hope you like it.
-Nanette

1.  Peel and slice cucumbers and one onion (the milder the better).

2.  Salt and pepper to taste.
 3.  Add herbs you enjoy.  This time I used fresh dill and some fennel plus a little minced garlic.
 4.  Microwave on high for at least one minute equal amounts of white vinegar and powdered stevia (or sugar if you prefer).  Stir until the stevia or sugar is dissolved.
 5.  Pour over the cucumbers, onions, and herbs.  Mix well.  Refrigerate overnight.

Another tip:  Once you have the dressing made, you can keep adding cucumbers to it for a few days and enjoy the salad all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment