When Olivia was a little girl one of her favorite meals at a local restaurant was a pizza burger. She was heartbroken when they eventually changed their menu and the pizza burger didn't make the cut. Years later when she went there one day they made one especially for her in honor of her die hard affection for the dish.
As an adult and a very inventive culinary adventurer, Olivia has created her own pizza burger served on a beautiful ciabatta bun. It is wonderful addition to your dinnertime repertoire.
1) Mix the following together in a large bowl:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage (mild or spicy according to your preference)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons Worchestire sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed (or more to taste)
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
2) Divide the mixture into eight equal sized hamburger patties. I froze four of the hamburger patties in a plastic freezer container with plastic wrap between each burger. This makes an EASY instant meal in the future!
3) Heat three tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Brown each hamburger patty in the pan, flipping halfway through, so both sides of each burger are browned.
4) Line a baking sheet with foil. Place a cookie rack on the covered baking sheet. Remove the cooked hamburger patties to the rack after they are browned.
5) Top each hamburger with the following:
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
1 slice of provolone cheese
6) Place the topped hamburgers underneath the broiler in the oven just long enough to cook the burgers the rest of the way through, warm the toppings, and make the cheese toasty and bubbly.
7) Transfer each hamburger to a warmed bun, ciabatta bun preferably.
8) Serve the sandwiches with a dish of warm pizza sauce to dip them in. Enjoy!