Traditional chex mix has long been a staple in our family. We have made minor adjustments over the years like using cheese crackers instead of pretzels and adding more worcestershire sauce, but until recently we had never ventured into the realm of really "different" chex mix. This recipe comes from www.chex.com and it is definitely a winner. The white baking chips, dried apple pieces, and walnuts, plus the nice variety of spices make this a very delicious snack. If you are looking for something a little different to serve at a holiday party, this is it. You can make it in a microwave as the recipe states or bake it in a traditional oven at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes for one hour. Enjoy this wonderful treat!
APPLE PIE CHEX MIX
- cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- cup walnut pieces
- tablespoons no-trans-fat vegetable oil spread stick or butter
- cup packed brown sugar
- teaspoon ground cinnamon
- teaspoon ground ginger
- teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cups dried or freeze-dried apples, coarsely chopped if necessary
- cup white vanilla baking chips (2 oz)
- teaspoon shortening
- 1 In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals and walnuts.
- 2 In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter on High 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg uncovered for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- 3 Microwave uncovered on High 4 minutes, stirring after each minute. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Sprinkle apples evenly over cereal mixture.
- 4 In small microwavable bowl, microwave white vanilla baking chips and shortening uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over cereal mixture; let stand until set. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in airtight container.