November is here! The holidays are squarely in front of us. About this time, Olivia and I begin vague discussions about what we plan to make for the holidays. Each of us has people we usually give plates of holiday goodies to and we begin our calculations on how many plates we plan to make. The fun part is making the final list of what we plan to make on the day we set aside to get together and make our sweet and savory treats together. We put our heads together and decide who is providing what ingredients and then gather on that day. Our husbands often stand by ready to go to the grocery for something we may have forgotten or to provide that necessary task of taste testing in the name of "quality control." It is great fun and a tradition we look forward to each year.
This year may just have to include this tasty treat. The recipe came from a friend of Olivia's who is always giving her new and yummy recipes. Those are some of the best friends of all. We are passing it along to you with the hope you will enjoy it and share it with those you love.
PRALINE PECAN CRUNCH
- 8 cups Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal ( 1 whole box)
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter ( margarine ok)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 250ºF. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Combine cereal and pecans in pan; mix well.
- In large microwaveable bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and margarine.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 seconds; stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir vanilla and baking soda and optional salt into sugar mixture. Pour over cereal mixture; stir to coat evenly.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet, spreading mixture in even layer. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.