Sunday, October 27, 2013

Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup

CREAMY CHICKEN TOMATO SOUP
Sometimes the autumn season brings a little sadness in our neck of the woods.  It is a time when we anticipate coming snow and ice, going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, and after the holidays it gets harder and harder to face winter with a happy face.  To help put a positive spin on all that, we started "Soup Day" last year at the place where I work.  From October through April we have one day a month that is designated "Soup Day."  Two people volunteer to bring in a crock pot full of soup.  If other people want to bring in something to go with it they can.  The smell permeates the office and the warmth of the delicious soups helps ward off the winter chill.
Olivia and I are always looking for new and yummy soup recipes.  I stumbled upon this one on a web site called "Everyday Paleo." (devoted the to the Paleo diet).  I was looking for a new and different soup recipe for "Soup Day."  This one fit the bill and was popular with my coworkers.  I am giving you the recipe as it was printed, but below that I am telling you what I did that was slightly different.  I hope you like it as much as I did.  
-Nanette
"Creamy” Chicken Tomato Soup
4 frozen skinless boneless chicken breast
Garlic salt to taste
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 clove garlic
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk (full fat)
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes and juice
1 cup of chicken broth (I used homemade chicken broth but you can use store bought)
Sea Salt and pepper to taste
Put all the above ingredients into the crock-pot, cook for 9 hours on low. After 9 hours take two forks and shred the chicken, set the crock-pot on warm till ready to serve (making sure to taste it before serving to make sure there is enough salt and pepper)
Here is what I did that deviated from the web site recipe:  I used three one pint jars of home canned chicken.  I used two tablespoons of fresh basil instead of dried.  I had a very hard time finding coconut milk so I used one can of cream of coconut (which is very very sweet) and I cut the sweetness by using three cups of chicken broth instead of two.  The results were rich and hearty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment