Sunday, May 20, 2018

RHUBARB CRISP

RHUBARB CRISP
One sure sign of Spring is rhubarb.  Olivia is not a big fan of this plant and many people aren't.  I've always grown up eating it and now have a plant of my own.  Rhubarb never seems to last long and typically goes to seed as soon as the really nice, warm weather comes around.  I didn't realize until just recently that not all rhubarb turns red.  When I was a kid, the rhubarb my mom made was always from red stalks.  The rhubarb I grow now never turns red.  I have been known to even add red food coloring when I cook it just to make it more attractive to myself.  

This particular recipe for rhubarb crisp comes from Taste of Home.  It includes slices of apple which I found to be particularly pleasing.  I have also made it without any other kind of fruit or sometimes with strawberries or blueberries.  You can experiment a little and see what you like.  Also, I cannot eat much white sugar, so when I make this recipe, I use half sugar and half powdered stevia.   It is still good and sufficiently sweet.  If you've never tried rhubarb, this is a great way to make it.  It is sure to delight your springtime taste buds.
-Nanette



INGREDIENTS

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, thawed
  • 2 cups sliced peeled apples or sliced strawberries
  • 1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Vanilla ice cream, optional

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add rhubarb and apples or strawberries; toss to coat. Spoon into an 8-in. square baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly and fruit is tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.Yield: 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment