Let's face it, we long for Spring. We long for warm weather, fresh food, and firing up the grill...at least that is the case where we live. It is this long stretch between Christmas and Easter that sometimes presents the greatest challenge in creating interesting and slightly different culinary creations. Olivia made this luscious creation that combines the flavors of thyme and garlic in a light creamy balsamic sauce.
If you haven't experimented with balsamic vinegar, you really should. It offers a beautiful combination of acidity and sweetness. No other vinegar offers quite as much body and richness. It is great in sauces, salad dressings, and even can be used to macerate fruit. It is simply wonderful. Try this delicious chicken dish that will no doubt make the winter more bearable and make the wait for Spring much more enjoyable.
Chicken with Mushrooms in a Balsamic Cream Sauce
Prep Time: 5mn
Cook Time: 25mn
Total Time: 30mn
- 1/2 pound egg noodles (I use no yolks), cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into half lengthwise so that you end up with 4 pieces of chicken
- Salt, black pepper, garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned, and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (do not substitute any other vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- Fresh, chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches a temp of about 165 degrees.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pan, and set aside.
- To the pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add in onions and mushrooms and sauté until the onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender. Add in garlic and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Season onions and mushrooms with a bit more salt, pepper, and add in 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and allow it to cook for a minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock, then balsamic vinegar. Whisk well.
- Add in half and half, and raise the heat to medium-high. Simmer the sauce until it stars to thicken, then reduce the heat to low and add the chicken to the pan, and simmer for about 3 minutes longer.
- To serve, arrange noodles in a bowl. Top with a piece of chicken and mushrooms balsamic cream sauce.
- Serves 4, enjoy!