Sunday, September 21, 2014

CANNING VEGETABLE SOUP



VEGETABLE SOUP HOME CANNED
Olivia and I have still been canning, but the batches are becoming fewer as the season winds down. We both recently processed large quantities of apples.  She used Golden Supreme apples to make apple butter and I used Galas to make applesauce.  Today I made home canned vegetable soup using the Ball Blue Book recipe as my "guide" to make the soup.  I am publishing the recipe below, but want to make it clear I never use the same combination of vegetables twice.  It really depends upon what I have available.  Today I used peas instead of lima beans.  Sometimes I use green beans.  As long as you use a similar proportion of ingredients and use the proper processing times, you should have success.  I also like to add a couple of tablespoons of thyme and basil to my soup.  My batch today netted six quarts and one pint.  This too may vary from batch to batch.  If I am a little short of tomatoes, I also sometimes add canned tomato juice to get the consistency I want.

We have always enjoyed homemade vegetable soup.  There is nothing better on a cold winter day than opening a jar of vegetable soup and maybe pairing it with a toasted cheese sandwich.  This combination can chase away the worst case of the winter blues.  Hope you enjoy it!
-Nanette

Vegetable Soup
  • 8 cups chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 4 lb or 12 medium)
  • 6 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
  • 6 cups 3/4-inch sliced carrots (about 12 medium)
  • 4 cups green lima beans (about 1-1/2 lb)
  • 4 cups uncooked corn kernels (about 9 ears)
  • 2 cups 1-inch sliced celery (about 4 stalks)
  • 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
  • 6 cups water
  • Salt, optional
  • Pepper, optional
  • (32 oz) quart or 14 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

DIRECTIONS:

  1. PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
  2. COMBINE all vegetables in a large saucepot. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
  3. LADLE hot soup into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
  4. PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 55 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 25 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.












No comments:

Post a Comment