Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Canning Strawberry Pie Filling

HOME CANNED STRAWBERRY PIE FILLING

Strawberry season is definitely here in the Midwest and we are enjoying it to the fullest.  Nothing beats the juicy taste explosion in your mouth of a warm, ripe strawberry freshly picked.  Olivia shared with me this fabulous home canned pie filling.  I plan to use it not only in pies but just as a dessert or with a little whipped topping mixed in or on top, or maybe even on a piece of angel food cake.  I haven't tried, but I am thinking it could be made into cobbler as well.  Olivia and I both made a batch of this for the first time this year. I can't wait to open a jar sometime this winter and recall the beautiful summer day when I canned the berries.
-Nanette

P.S.  To give you some idea of how many strawberries it takes to make this recipe, my husband and I cleaned a flat of eight quarts of berries.  This made 14 pints of filling and I had four quart freezer bags of berries I put in the freezer.

Strawberry Pie Filling

6 quarts of fresh or thawed strawberries
6 cups of granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups of Clear Jel
7 cups of cold water
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice

Wash well and drain the fruit in a covered bowl or pot.  Combine sugar and Clear Jel in a large kettle.  Stir.  Add water and, if desired, red food coloring.  Cook on medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.  Add lemon juice, boil one minute while stirring constantly then remove from heat.  Fold in drained berries immediately and fill jars with mixture before the mixture starts to set. Leave one inch head space.  Process in warm water bath for 30 minutes at a full rolling boil.  When you are ready to use, pour in a deep dish pie crust and bake until the crust is golden brown, 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Let cool and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment