CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN BANANA BREAD
I don't know what it is like where you are, but it has been brutally cold here. The temperatures rise a little, just enough to melt some old snow, and then the temperatures dip and more snow arrives. It is enough to keep you making soup, hot chocolate, and anything to keep you warm on the inside and outside. This scrumptious bread is just the thing with a cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate to keep the chill off your bones. Olivia tweaked a similar recipe she found online by adjusting some ingredient amounts and swapping out pecans for walnuts (just out of personal preference). We hope you try it and like it. Remember, keep the coffee pot brewing, the snow blower filled with gas, and the hope of Spring alive!
CHOCOLATE CHIP, PECAN, BANANA BREAD
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and bananas.
- Stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake at 350~ until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 75 minutes.
- Cool loaf in the pan for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with room temperature butter if desired.