AU GRATIN POTATOES
Looking for something warm and yummy to make this fall? Add this to your list of must make dishes. Olivia and I are very busy this time of year with work, festivals, canning the last of the garden, cleaning up the garden, etc. Having a great "go to" dish like this one is just the thing. Enjoy!
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes1 1/2 cups chopped ham2 small onions (or 1 medium), thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in two cups of cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Evenly place the chopped ham over the potatoes. Layer on the sliced onions as well. Finally, repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.