Sunday, December 2, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Bread

LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD

Our church has a ministry aimed at newcomers.  After they visit us, we deliver to them a basket that includes a loaf of homemade bread.  I was called yesterday and asked to bake two loaves.  I looked for a recipe that had things I have on hand normally.  Each summer Olivia and I either pick fresh blueberries ourselves or buy them in bulk for freezing.  I decided to go with this delightful lemon blueberry recipe I found on allrecipes.com .  I made one minor adjustment.  I did not use the nuts because some folks have nut allergies and I used powdered sugar for the glaze instead of regular sugar.  The bread made the house smell wonderful.  If you need a small gift for someone this holiday season, this might make a good choice or have it for a quick breakfast during this busy, festive season.  I'm thinking about trying it using strawberries or maybe even small pieces of peaches. Be creative!
-Nanette


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, juice and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in lemon zest, nuts, and blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment