Monday, May 28, 2012



Leap Year Salad Dressing
I have absolutely no idea where the name for this recipe originated.  I remember my mother getting it from a cousin of hers when I was a small child (over fifty years ago).  I have in recent years seen similar recipes labeled as Russian dressing. They all have the same basic ingredients.  One I saw added two tablespoons of brown sugar.  I think that would give it a richer taste.  Adding bacon bits might also be a nice touch.  With summer coming on, try adding a little of your favorite minced herb.  I think you will find it versatile and it keeps well in the refrigerator.  Just shake well each time before serving.
- Nanette





2/3 cup sugar ( a little less if you wish to add some brown sugar to it )
1/3 cup vinegar (apple cider, or red wine, rice, or balsamic -- pick your favorite)
1 tsp. salt ( kosher or your favorite specialty salt)
1/2 cup grated onion
1/2 cup canola or olive oil
1/3 cup catsup
1  tsp. paprika
Place all of the ingredients in a jar and shake.  Experiment with different variations!

SALAD TIP:  If each person in your family likes a little something different in their salad, try putting a bed of your favorite greens in a 9" by 13" glass pan.  Then put a line of each ingredient on the bed of greens.  Do not toss.  Let each person use salad tongs and pick from the rows of ingredients they like most.  This keeps people from picking out the ingredients they don't like from a tossed salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment